Thursday, January 31, 2013

When good technology goes bad...

The problems with technology we had in the class brought back all the horrible experiences I've had when technology has failed me.  No matter how much you might be prepared, you never feel ready to deal with that and I find my panic always increases when I look at the clock and realize I have only a few minutes to find a solution before class starts.

If it's something small like the computer in the room not turning on or the presentation remote not turning working, I can just hook up my laptop or use the space bar instead.  Generally I am fairly calm when these little things happen, but of course sooner or later you'll have a tech problem you weren't entirely prepared for.  For example, a few years ago I was teaching a psychology class at a summer camp program.  I had these really fun simulations and experiments to do when we were talking about learning and memory.  While there are many programs that have these often they are paired with textbooks or you have to pay for access, I did not have access to those for my class.  So, I was really excited when I found a free online site that had all the experiments I wanted.  However a few days before, I noticed that the site was down, but having played with the site before I knew that it would usually get up again soon.  So I hoped for the best, emailed the site administrator to get it fixed soon, and I looked for a few smaller simulations online, although none were as good as that website--so I had a little bit of backup plan.  Then, the morning of that class, it wasn't working giving me an hour or so before class to eat breakfast and come to a solution.  Thankfully, one of the other teacher mentioned maybe letting the students come up with their own experiments.  Despite coming to a solution, which did actually work well, I was still not happy that I didn't get to do what I wanted and the educational opportunities that might have been lost by not getting to do that activity.  There were things we didn't get to talk about in class because I couldn't get access to that website and they needed to see the experiment to talk about it.

I know these experiences make us stressed, but do they have any effects on the student?  Do students tend to accept that these things happen or would they think we were unprepared?

3 comments:

  1. You have already learned the key to using technology in any situation - have a backup plan! And that backup plan should address the same learning objectives.

    As for your questions, what do you think? Did you think that I was unprepared, or did you accept that sometimes these things happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Sherry, I didn't think you were unprepared, but then again my point of view is probably a little biased since I have been in that same situation myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When technology fails me, I definitely think that the students are thinking I am unprepared, but I bet they are more generous and understanding than we give them credit for...hopefully =)

    ReplyDelete